Tuesday, February 2, 2010

To Meekly Go

I'm really bummed that my Asus "Republic of Gaming" laptop supposedly built for gaming can't handle Star Trek: Online without going through waves of lag. Even adjusting the -fps setting to 50 didn't help. To be fair, the laptop is now almost a year old, and I guess it serves me right for waiting so long to get a new desktop rig (I can dual box WoW on the laptop with no lag, but can't even run STO for longer than 5 minutes before it all goes to hell - doesn't make sense I tells ya!).

Anyway, interestingly enough last night I did some poking around the iTunes store to look for other MMO-related podcasts for the games I've dabbled (or continue to dabble) in.

Star Trek Online
I was happy to see that Aprillian from Ctrl Alt WoW has a brand new STO-themed show that has recently released its first episode. Ctrl Alt Trek provided a pretty decent overview of the beta and an interesting perspective if you're a Trek fan but on the fence about playing the MMO.

I also downloaded but haven't listened to STOked: The Ultimate Star Trek Online Podcast by the guys from Jupiter Broadcasting.

Champions Online

There were a couple, but the one that still looks like it is active is Podcast of Champions, which just released its last show on 1/25/10. Listened to the first 20 minutes, fairly amusing discussion of the box art included in that. Some large doses of yucking present. Also some fretting about the STO release and possible impact on support & development of CO.

Aion
Disappointing, really. None of the several Aion podcasts listed have been updated since we hit calendar year 2010. I picked up the Aion Fancast (12/4/09), Aion's Wrath (10/23/09), and Black Wings of Atreia (8/21/09) just to hear some examples.

Warhammer
Not much happening here either. Downloaded the Warhammer Alliance Podcast to hear their end-of-year special episode, but there hasn't been a new episode since.

Lord of the Rings Online
Some activity here - A Casual Stroll to Mordor and LOTRO Reporter both had news episodes out within the last week, while LOTROCast's last show was #20 back on 12/23/09.

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Apparently there's more going on here right now for a game that's not even released then there is for Aion. I picked up TOROcast #41 (!) from 1/31/10 and Mos Eisley Radio but have yet to listen.



If there are any others you regularly listen to, please let me know. I'll try to give these guys a listen this week and post some initial reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment