Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Meet the UWoW Team!

It all began a few weeks ago when the five of us literally bumped into each other in the Frist Center on the campus of Princeton University. Jim had a certain strategy guide that he dropped in the confusion and when Melissa picked it up and handed it to him she asked Jim if he played WoW and he said he did, and then almost in unison the other four us of said "me too!" We laughed that our meeting couldn't have been by chance and also about how we were such geeks living a real life episode of The Guild.

Here are some quick profiles on the Underground WoW team, I've slightly edited them to make them flow a bit together but haven't changed anything. For example, Pete Pete didn't actually call himself a "beach bum," I took the liberty! ;-) Anyway, here you go:

Name: Jim Surge
Real Name: James Millard Surge IV
Age: 33
Hometown: Princeton, NJ
WoW Experience: Been playing forever but have never become a full-time raider and have never really accomplished anything of note really because the only friends I have who are into WoW play the game horribly bad and all of the guilds I join dissolve in some sort of blow-out drama fest that I have no desire to be a part of. Have really slowed down playing recently and have a human Paladin parked at 70 for months waiting to do Northrend. Leveled a Horde hunter all the way up to 80 and still don't have a good mentor to help me break through to the next level.
Favorite WoW Podcast ATM: I first started listening to How I Wow during Episode 10 which was probably the weirdest How I Wow they've done (at least for the first 10 minutes of the interview) when Jim Moreno spoke in character as Wichdocta. I remember feeling awkward listening to it and yet not being able to pull myself away and I have been hooked ever since. They have had some really excellent guests, folks I would call giants in the WoW community, and it is always fascinating to see where the conversation is going to go. This is the only WoW-related podcast I've ever listened to where I've gone back to catch-up on older episodes.

Name: Fred Jones
Real Name: Frederick Jones
Age: 70
Hometown: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
WoW Experience: Vast, my retirement coincided with the launching of the game. This is the only MMO I've ever played though, aside from quick City of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies demos.
Favorite WoW Podcast ATM: I really don't have a favorite. Being an older guy I'll say it is pretty interesting to hear some younger people podcasting rather than, say, the "cool nerds" who are in their late 30s and "rule" because they don't live in someone else's basement. So from our list that probably includes Warcraft Outsiders, The Grind, Outlandish, WoW Factor, and Yet Another World of Warcraft Podcast. I'm pretty sure Outlandish is the one that opens the show with a mash-up from the previous weeks episode and that is always pretty cool for someone like me that enjoys experimental music.

Name: Melissa Muromets
Real Name: same
Age: 26
Hometown: New York City, NY
WoW Experience: Pretty new player, still learning the ropes. I only play blood elf males with silly or male names so guys don't hit on me. Still weirded out by so many other "people" actually being there in-game with me.
Favorite WoW Podcast ATM: I'm still very new so I like more topical shows like WoW Insider or BluePlz! or Casually Hardcore or All Things Azeroth. Medros has been on a roll lately since his rant about Blizzard on Episode #99! And of course I love when Nemesis interrupts Casually Hardcore. I think some of the people here at UWoW like Pete Pete and Jim read a little too much into what they hear during a podcast and I think tend to forget that podcasts also need to be entertaining so I feel like I'm like the reality check.

Name: Toothy
Real Name: rather not say
Age: 18
Hometown: Bulwell, Nottinghamshire (I'm no chav!)
WoW Experience: I don't really like the game all that much because it has become easy and I've come to resent that. I basically just play to mess with other people at this point or to find and report bots. Sort of like a cosmic internets WoW bounty hunter. I'm also one of the youngest fully licensed dentists in the history of the United Kingdom although that has nothing to do with World of Warcraft.
Favorite WoW Podcast ATM: I am an alt freak so I listen to Ctrl Alt WoW religiously before anything else right now. The first time I listened to it I didn't last more than 10 minutes before I had to turn it off. Now it is like they hypnotize me and before I know it two hours have gone by. Aprillian, Ashayo, and Glanthur all have really unique voices and I think that plays a large factor for me. There also seems to be a level of diversity present in Ctrl Alt WoW that isn't present in hardly any of the others and I really value that.

Name: Pete Pete
Real Name: Peter Massimo
Age: 28
Hometown: San Diego, California
WoW Experience: I know hunters pretty well but not so much with any other class. Just rolling a piest now to see what the experience is like.
Favorite WoW Podcast ATM: I'm a WoW Things Considered guy at the moment. Duncor is podcast platinum, especially the insane ramble he goes on to begin Episode: Hot N Cold where he had to host solo. That is just some of the best stuff I've ever heard on a podcast of any kind right there. Been closely following them since then. Even though I'm the typical laid back California beach bum I seem to be more of a conspiracy theorist than my colleagues here at UWoW. For instance I think there is subconscious on-air flirting between Iolyte and Grail during Casually Hardcore. Or that Marc was totally hitting on Ali during the Craft of War and may have designed the entire podcast as a device to spend time with her.Yeah, I can read a bit into things.

No comments:

Post a Comment